Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Thanksgiving Kickoff Starts Tomorrow

Happy Halloween! I've been dying to get through October, so we can get to what I consider the start of the holiday season. As we approach the holidays, my posts will probably be more dessert centered, particularly in December. I like to make a lot of goodies to have around the house for when company drops by, as they are wont to do.

However, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, because I host it each year. I get to go overboard and make the most amazing meals and relish in everyone enjoying the meal. I love to cook, but I love someone else enjoying what I've cooked more. I have tried and true favorites that I make every year, it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them. I also usually like to try a new recipe, this year I'm leaning towards a new Green Bean Casserole recipe.

Every Monday, I'll feature at least two recipes for my favorite Thanksgiving dishes, just keep in mind that I cook for approximately 25 people for Thanksgiving so you will want to scale appropriately. I make 3 times as many side dishes and my recipes are all double and possibly triple what you'd have for a meal for 5-8. My husband's family is quite large (25), and I usually allot enough for at least 4-6 extra people. For the past 4 years I've extended an open invitation to airmen with nowhere to go at the local Air Force base and a few friends, so I have extra just to be sure. I've been thinking this year of possibly extending that invitation to some local college students as well. No one should be alone during holidays unless they really want to be.

November 5th
Brandied Candied Sweet Potatoes
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes

November 12th
Ham, with a brown sugar glaze
Cranberry Sauce

November 19th
Turkey basted with a Sage Orange Butter
Dressing/Stuffing
Gravy

I'll try to intersperse other recipes I use through the rest of the month. On November 23rd, I will recap the meal, complete with pictures of all the dishes, make ahead tips, prep work and timing. I do this every year, but I always sort of wing it. This year, I'll do my best to document it all to share with you. I do have a general Thanksgiving Prep timeline that I use that I will share November 1st as we kick off the countdown to Thanksgiving.

Now in the meantime, I also host an annual holiday cocktail party, this year it is on November 17th. So, as that approaches I will also share my tips and recipes for throwing a cocktail party. On top of that, I'm hosting a Girl's Night Out with wines and appetizers on November 6th. So, I'll include those as well. Get ready for a full month of recipes, tips and tricks, planners, and sample downloads. The rest of the year will seem positively boring after this.

Thanksgiving Menu


Turkey, brined and basted with a sage orange butter
Ham, with a brown sugar glaze
Gravy
Dressing
Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Brandied Candied Sweet Potatoes
Egg Noodles
Green Bean Casserole
Corn on the Cob
Cranberry Sauce
a variety of salads
Crudites
Carrot Cloverleaf Dinner Rolls

Hot Buttered Rum
Hot Apple Cider
Wine
Coffee
Punch

and for dessert...
Pumpkin Pie
Buttermilk Pecan Pie
Raspberry Apple Pie
Ice Cream
Acorn Cookies

No comments: