Monday, November 12, 2007

Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze

This is adapted from a Baked Country Ham that I saw done on a show several years ago. It took me a while to find it, but many of my Thanksgiving recipes are adapted from Jamie Gwen's recipes that were showcased that day. She got me through my first Thanksgiving. I've changed amounts a bit over the years, and I dropped the fruit since no one would ever eat it. If you want to give it a try with the fruit that she originally recommends, follow her original recipe linked above. The ham has an unnatural red color to it, it's my picture taking skills, not the ham. Sorry.

Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze

Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze

INGREDIENTS

1 precooked smoked ham, about 16 lbs.
whole cloves
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 - 2 cups apple juice

DIRECTIONS

Peel skin from ham and trim fat to a l/4" layer. Using a sharp knife, score fat in a diamond pattern. Insert a whole clove into each diamond. Spread mustard evenly all over ham. Sprinkle brown sugar over top and sides of ham and pour 1 cup apple juice into pan. Add additional Apple Juice as necessary, you want a glaze as opposed to a water like consistency. Don't let it get too thick or dry out though, because it can burn as it carmelizes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours, basting often.

No comments: