Thursday, May 1, 2008

Easy Roasted Chicken

This is so easy and delicious. If you do not have a rack you can place the chicken in the roasting pan alone, but I recommend siphoning out the juices that collect in the bottom about halfway through the cooking time, to prevent the chicken from getting mushy on the bottom.

Easy Roasted Chicken

INGREDIENTS

1 3-4 lb chicken
2 Tbsp butter, softened or Olive Oil (I think butter works better for crisping)
1-2 cloves diced garlic
salt
pepper
paprika
cumin

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350
Rinse chicken inside and out, pat dry
Place chicken on rack in small roasting pan
Mix softened butter and garlic together
Rub butter mixture all over the skin of the chicken and gently lift the skin on the breast and rub butter under the skin
Lightly sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika and cumin
Place chicken in oven, cook for about 20 minutes per pound + additional 20 minutes
Meat thermometer should read 180 when inserted into thigh (do not let it touch the bone)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roasted chicken is a big hit in this house.

Funny thought, I always make the exact same dish. Chicken, steamed green beans w/ garlic butter and a box of seasoned rice.

Have you ever used an injector w/ your chicken ? We have one and I don't think I have ever used it.

Barbara said...

I've never used an injector, I usually just put herbs or flavored butter/oil under the skin.

That used to be a staple in our house too, at least once a week. Things kind of go in cycles, I'm really liking the Garlic Lime Chicken right now. So I make that often. Eventually there will be a new favorite and I'll make that weekly. :)

Anonymous said...

I've never put anything under the skin, it freaks me out....

Barbara said...

I should rephrase. I have Paul put herbs and seasonings under the skin. He's so sweet to oblige!

Anonymous said...

Well, I need to get over it for myself and the boys, I'm sure it is great.

Barbara said...

I don't know how much it really matters though. Do you ever brine? That would work as well without having to do the skin thing. Since you have an injector, just give that a try

Barbara said...

I like to play with my food! :) Try new things

Anonymous said...

I've never used a brine. Or read how, is it hard ?

Barbara said...

Brining is super easy. This is the instructions for a turkey, basically third the recipe for a chicken, and I'd only brine for 1-2 hours.

Anonymous said...

OMG Yum... I'm going to do this turkey this weekend....

Barbara said...

The turkey is beyond delicious, and it makes the best gravy! I used to try various recipes, but once I tried this I stopped looking.

Fifi Flowers said...

YUM! Love the way you cook... I'm the same way... I NEVER know measurements... I'm terrrible at following recipes... a mind of my own when it comes to cooking!

Barbara said...

Thanks! I'm making a pork loin with roasted pepper cream tomorrow that's much the same way, and quite good. I'll have to remember to take pictures.