Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Risotto Parmigiano

I am trying to clean out my pantry a bit this week, and I have some leftover Arborio rice from making Rice Pudding. So, I decided to make a simple Risotto to go with Roasted Chicken tonight. If using white wine, reduce water/broth by 1/2 cup. Risotto is easy to make but does require patience and time to stir. I make mine with chicken broth, I save the wine and cream version for company. This is not the dish to make when you have children fighting for your attention, but if your kids are older and can handle stirring, they can help!

Risotto Parmigiano

Risotto Parmigiano

INGREDIENTS

1/2 lb arborio rice
4 cups water or broth (Chicken or Vegetable)
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
2 Tbsp diced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Optional: 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup white wine

DIRECTIONS
In large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
Add onion and saute until softened, add garlic and continue to saute until onion is lightly brown (don't burn the garlic).
Turn down heat to med-low, add Arborio Rice and stir for 2 minutes coating thoroughly with butter, onion, garlic mixture.
If using 1/2 cup white wine, add at this time, stirring until liquid is absorbed.
Add water or broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until liquid is absorbed. (If using vegetable broth, I'd go half broth and half water, vegetable broth can be quite strong)
Start sampling grains of rice after you've added 3 cups of broth/water, you want the rice to be just done to the point of soft (no more hardness in the center). Add any remaining broth by the 1/4 cup, so you don't overdo it.
Add salt and pepper to taste when you start sampling for doneness. I usually omit salt and add about 1/4-1/2 tsp pepper.
Once it is done, stir in parmesan and cream if desired.
The cream will obviously make it even creamier and delicious, but adds a significant amount of fat.

3 comments:

The House That A-M Built said...

Oh I am doing this! I could live on risotto... so warm and filling. I'll let you know how I go! A-M xx

Barbara said...

It's very good and surprisingly easy to make, just takes a while is all. Rice pudding and risotto are some of my favorite comfort foods, but I don't make them too often. The picture really doesn't do it justice.

Her Glitter Life said...

Hello there,

I like your blog i copy some of your recipe and try to cook them.

Mary