Friday, October 10, 2008

Chili with a Little Sass

As temperatures starting dropping, I can't help but crave some chili and cornbread. Well, the air is cooler and I haven't made chili yet this autumn. Time to rectify that! The cornbread will come on Tuesday. I love mixing dark and light kidney beans. I like the heartiness of the dark kidney beans, but the light ones seem to have a softer bite to them, which I prefer. I also make chili in bulk. Why? Because the flavor only gets better with time, so each bowl is better than the last.

Chili

This isn't quite Chili with a Kick, not too spicy... More like Chili with a Little Sass, just enough attitude without being too spicy.

Chili with a Little Sass

INGREDIENTS
3 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, diced
32 oz can of tomato sauce
32 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans of light red kidney beans
2 15 oz cans of dark red kidney beans
2 4 oz cans of diced green chilis

SEASONING
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt

-OR-

2 packets of your favorite chili seasoning

TOPPINGS (all optional)
sour cream
shredded cheddar
tortilla chips
diced jalapenos

DIRECTIONS
Brown the ground beef, strain the drippings
Keep the ground beef in the strainer while you saute the diced onion
Once golden brown and slightly translucent, add ground beef back and rewarm
Mix together the seasoning (or use the packets)
Rinse the beans in the strainer
Add beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and seasonings to the ground beef mixture
Mix thoroughly, and simmer over medium low heat for 8-10 minutes
Serve with toppings

4 comments:

Kiy said...

This looks great! I just told hubby, 'Barbara has a great looking chili recipe up'. Told him the name and he said 'all that's needed is for his wife to make chili, sass he always has around the house'. You don't think he was talking about me, do you? :)

Barbara said...

*laugh* I can't imagine what he might have been referring too...
Between you and Danger Girl sounds like he has his hands full. ;)

Emperorp said...

Hi Barbara. After Kiy's recommendation for this and your beautiful photo, I'm just going to have to make this. I am the only chili fan in our family, so rarely make it these days. I've been lookin gout for a good recipe an now I'm loving the idea of making a big batch of your recipe, freezing in individual portions and having chili to han whenever I get the craving. Thanks for posting this :)

Barbara said...

Susan,
I do hope it turns out well for you! I'm making another batch tonight. Let me know how you like it :)