Saturday, September 27, 2008

Autumn Recipe & Tablescape Exchange

Heidi over at Foxgloves, Fabric and Folly is hosting an Autumn Recipe & Tablescape Exchange. She shared her own beautiful tablescape and a recipe for a Pumpkin Banana Tart that sounds delicious. There is a list of everyone participating. Head on over and take a look through all the tablescapes and Autumn recipes. Decide to share your own? Let me know in the comments and I'll come take a look.

My china is Southern Vista by Lenox, it's cream with blue, pink and gold floral accents. It doesn't lend itself well to autumn placesettings. Remember how I professed my love for white mini-pumpkins, they work well with the many blues in my home.

For dinner... I just love the mini salt and pepper shakers my mother found for me. They go so well with my china and I have enough for each place setting.
PlaceSetting

And my dessert place setting:
Dessert PlaceSetting

It wouldn't feel quite like autumn without warm drinks, typical choices are cocoa and cider, but two of my favorites are Glögg and Hot Buttered Rum.

Glögg is a Swedish drink often associated with cold winter evenings around the holiday season. However, I think it's perfect as the air becomes cool and crisp. Glögg can be made non-alcoholic by using a grape or currant juice in place of the wine. Hot Buttered Rum is delicious as per the directions, however I've also used the butter mixture over hot apple cider for a non-alcoholic version that is delicious.

Glögg
Orange peel from 1 orange
3 cinnamon sticks
1 Tbsp diced ginger root (large bits)
10 whole cardamom seeds
10 whole cloves
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 bottle of sweet red wine

Directions:
Day 1:
Scrape as much pith as possible from the orange peel (I use a grapefruit spoon, it works well)
Place orange peel and all spices in cheesecloth and form a satchel
Add spice satchel to water and bring to a boil
Remove from heat, cover and let stand 8 to 12 hours
Day 2:
Remove spice satchel from the water.
Add 1/2 cup sugar to the water and bring to a boil.
Stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
Add the bottle of wine, heat until steaming. Do not bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and serve.
Traditionally, this is served with bits of blanched almonds and raisins in each glass.

Hot Buttered Rum
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 pound light brown sugar, packed
1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened

Directions:
In a large bowl cream the butter and the sugars together until smooth. Add the softened ice cream and mix until creamy.
Transfer this to a freezer container with a tight fitting lid.
This mixture can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.

To Serve:
Place a heaping 2 tablespoons of the frozen mix in a glass or coffee mug.
Add 1 to 2 tablespoons dark rum (Captain Morgan's!).
Pour over the mix 6 ounces of boiling water and stir until the mixture is melted.
Sprinkle top with cinnamon or nutmeg and serve forth!

Cross-posted to Candy Hearts and Paper Flowers.

1 comment:

threesidesofcrazy said...

BEAUTIFUL CHINA! I love hot buttered rum, but have to try glogg - just love the name!