Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Cider Acorn Squash

Maybe I've totally lost it, but there seems to be a little bit of a peanut butter smell when you cut into an acorn squash. Anyway, because I smelled peanut butter I went with sweet for this acorn squash instead of savory. I had one of my nights where I just had to throw together what I had. So, we had some leftover Baked Macaroni and Cheese and some Cider Acorn Squash. This is almost dessert.

Cider Acorn Squash

Cider Acorn Squash

INGREDIENTS
1 large acorn squash
1/2-3/4 cup apple cider
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp butter

DIRECTIONS
Cook acorn squash until soft, you can do this many ways depending on time(*preferred):
- Cut in 1/2 and cook covered in a saucepan with boiling water and 1/4 cup apple cider for 10 minutes
- *Cut in half and place on baking sheet cut side up, fill each 1/2 with Tbsp apple cider in a 350F oven for 35-40 minutes
- Cut in half, fill each 1/2 with Tbsp apple cider and microwave for 5-10 minutes at 50% power (check often every microwave is different)

Scoop filling out of the acorn squash and tranfer to a small saucepot
Add remaining ingredients, smash together, cook over medium heat until apple cider is reduced. Don't puree, this isn't baby food, keep it chunky and textured.

No comments: