Saturday, February 21, 2009

5 Bean Casserole

I found a similar recipe a few years ago and have been making it for summer family gatherings. I've changed a few things about it and this is my go to recipe for baked beans. This makes a huge batch, I section it and freeze it in portions. It makes enough for large family gatherings, for just your family at home half it and count on some leftovers. I used garbanzo beans this time since I had some on hand, but they don't get soft so I avoid them for this dish usually.

5 Bean Casserole

5 Bean Casserole

INGREDIENTS
1 lb bacon
1 large onion
2 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
2 15 oz cans lima beans, drain and rinse
2 15 oz cans butter beans, drain and rinse
2 15 oz cans kidney beans, drain and rinse
2 15 oz cans navy beans, drain and rinse
2 28 oz cans baked beans

DIRECTIONS
Cut bacon into 1 in pieces and cook in bottom of large stock pot (6-8 quart) and cook until browned
Remove bacon and drain fat, add onion to pot and saute until soft and lightly brown
Return bacon to pot, add ground mustard, salt, vinegar and brown sugar to pot, bring to a simmer
Add beans to pot and simmer for 1 hour or pour into casserole dish and cook in oven for an hour covered, then 30 minutes uncovered at 350.

No comments: