Sunday, March 30, 2008

Mmmmm Soup

I spent this afternoon making 2 soups, similar bases, a few different additions, 2 totally different soups. Soup is one of my favorite comfort foods, it always reminds me of being taken care of, especially when I was sick. Only now I'm the one doing the nurturing, and it's myself I'm nurturing.

Chicken Tortilla Soup:
Chicken Tortilla Soup

The two big batches of soup will supplement my dinners for the next couple of weeks so I have less cooking to do and can spend more time on the Spring Cleaning. One is a brothy Chicken Tortilla Soup, the other is a creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. Both of these soups start with 2 lbs sauteed chicken, 1 cup sauteed onions and celery, and a lot (approx 64 oz) of chicken stock.

To the Chicken Tortilla Soup I add 1 can tomato sauce, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 2 cans diced green chiles, 1 can black beans, and a few liberal shakes of a Southwest seasoning blend. Bring to a boil, turn down to low and simmer for 20 minutes. I like to top this with tortilla chips, a little shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.

To the Chicken and Wild Rice Soup I add 1 qt half & half, 1 1/2 cup wild rice, 3 cups water, 1/2 cup of flour. Simmer on low for 40 minutes. I like to top this with a little crumbled bacon.

Need I mention, the house smells absolutely yummy right now!!!

No comments: