Tuesday, December 18, 2007

No Cook Orange Balls

We used to make these all the time when I was younger. While they aren't quite as good as I remember, it would make a nice layer for an ice cream dessert.

Orange Balls

INGREDIENTS:
1 box Nilla Wafers, crushed
1 bag shaved coconut
1 can frozen orange juice concentrate
2 cups powdered sugar
powdered sugar for rolling

DIRECTIONS
Mix the Nilla Wafers, coconut, orange juice and sugar together. Roll into 1" balls (this is sticky and messy!) and roll in powdered sugar. Enjoy.

To make it easy, I just throw the box of Nilla Wafers in a food processor and pulse into crumbs, then add powdered sugar and pulse a few, then add the rest and pulse until mixed.

I envision this working better as part of an ice cream dessert. A Nilla Cookie crust, with a layer of this orange mixture, a layer of French Vanilla Ice Cream, topped with some coconut and mandarin oranges.

UPDATE:

I tried using the orange balls as part of an ice cream dessert and that didn't turn out quite well either. I think this is one of those things that I have to chalk up to a skewed chilhood memory. I think the extreme sweetness and stickiness of these is just the sort of thing that kids love and makes adults cringe.

No comments: